These Homemade Hemp Seed Dog Treats are made from scratch and use hemp seeds as the main ingredient. Hemp seeds are a great source of protein, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids, which make them a healthy choice for your pup!
Our furry friends deserve the best which is why making homemade dog treats is a great option to keep your dog healthy. Making dog treats from scratch is beneficial because you know exactly what’s going into them. With store-bought treats, you never know how many preservatives or added ingredients could be in their food.
Can dogs eat hemp seeds? Yes! In this recipe, we use hemp heart seeds because they are a great source of protein and omega 3 fatty acids for dogs. Hemp seeds also contain fiber which helps promote digestive health and can assist with digestion and kidney function.
All you’ll need is 5 simple ingredients to make these homemade hemp seed treats that are healthy AND taste delicious!
Note: Please consult with your veterinarian before making any changes to your dog’s diet, including giving these biscuits to your dog.
Why You Should Make These Homemade Healthy Hemp Dog Biscuits
- They use 5 simple ingredients you can easily find.
- Making your own dog biscuits removes preservatives and chemicals that are in storebought brands.
- Hemp hearts are a great source of protein and omega-fatty acids for your pup that also help digestion.
- You can make a large batch and freeze them for later.
- Great as a homemade gift for any dog lover!
With just 5 simple ingredients, you can create a homemade dog treat that is delicious and healthy for your pup!
- Banana – Sweetens the treats and makes them easier to roll out!
- Egg – An egg is used as a binder that helps them keep their shape when baking.
- Hemp Seeds – Hemp hearts are hemp seeds with their hard exterior shell removed and are the nutritional powerhouse in this recipe.
- Natural Peanut Butter – Adds peanut butter flavor that dogs love and helps with binding.
- Gluten-Free Oats – Adds more nutrition and fiber to the treats which helps promote digestive health.
- Large Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
🥣How To Make Homemade Hemp Dog Treats
1️⃣ Step One: Prepare for baking
Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
2️⃣ Step Two: Combine ingredients
In a large bowl, add the banana, egg, peanut butter, and oats. Use a wooden spoon to make sure all of the ingredients are fully combined.
3️⃣ Step Three: Add the hemp seeds
To the wet combined mixture, pour in the hemp seeds and stir until they are evenly mixed and distributed.
4️⃣ Step Four: Assemble and bake
Using a spoon or cookie dough scoop, make dough balls that are 1.5 tablespoons full. Drop them onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool before serving and storing in the fridge.
👩🏻🍳Recipe Tips and Variations
You can use any nut butter you prefer. I would stick to peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter as long as it’s made with natural ingredients.
When choosing your ingredients, avoid anything with xylitol in it as this is toxic for dogs.
If your banana is too ripe and sweet, you may need to reduce the number of oats slightly so that they are not too sticky.
These homemade dog biscuits can also easily be made into smaller treats by using a mini cookie dough scoop. Just reduce the baking time by a few minutes.
If you live in a hot climate, or your pup is always panting, you can try freezing these treats for an extra cool and refreshing snack.
Make sure you’re using certified gluten-free oats if your pup has gluten sensitivity.
🧊How To Store
Storing: These easy homemade dog treats will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 2 weeks if stored in an airtight container.
Freezing: If you want to store them for a longer period of time, they can be frozen in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag for up to 6 months. Let them thaw overnight on the counter before serving.
Yes, hemp hearts are a good source of protein, omega 3 fatty acids, and fiber for dogs. They can help with weight management, joint health, skin/coat condition, and digestion. Consult with your veterinarian before making any changes to your dog’s diet.
No, hemp seeds are derived from the hemp plant but do not contain any CBD. Hemp hearts and CBD oil come from different parts of the plant, with hemp hearts coming from the seeds while CBD comes from both leaves and stems of the plant.
Consult with your veterinarian before making any changes to your dog’s diet. As a general guideline, start with about ¼ teaspoon of hemp hearts per day and increase as needed up to one tablespoon per day.
Hemp Seed Dog Treats
- Large Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
- ½ cup banana smashed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup natural peanut butter unsweetened
- ¾ cup oats certified gluten free
- 1.5 cups hemp hearts
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, add the banana, egg, peanut butter, and oats. Use a wooden spoon to make sure all of the ingredients are fully combined.
- To the wet combined mixture, pour in the hemp seeds and stir until they are evenly mixed and distributed.
- Using a spoon or cookie dough scoop, make dough balls that are 1.5 tablespoons full. Drop them onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool before serving and storing in the fridge.