Use Your Summer Garden Veggies in this Fresh Gouda and Zucchini Frittata
In my opinion, the best thing about summer is the fresh herbs and vegetables. When your garden bounty is in great abundance, this gouda and zucchini frittata is a wonderful recipe to showcase some of the flavors of the season. This recipe is simple to make, vegetarian, and gluten free.
Ingredients for your frittata
This light and delicious frittata has quite a few summer herbs and veggies. Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Sweet onion
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh rosemary and oregano (or other herbs from your garden!)
- Gouda (cheddar would also work well)
- Milk (I used 2%)
- Garlic salt and pepper
- Olive oil (or another fat for the skillet, such as butter or vegetable oil)
How to make your gouda and zucchini frittata
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prep and chop all your veggies and herbs for this recipe. You can easily make substitutions based on what you have available in your garden.
In this recipe, the herbs I used are fresh rosemary and oregano. I love sharing this fantastic tip for destemming fresh herbs that my husband came up with. Simply insert an herb stem in a cheese grater and pull it through! The fresh herbs come off immediately and cleanly. This method is unbelievably quick and easy.
Once you have all the veggies and herbs prepared, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sweet onion and zucchini and heat, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes or until softened.
Meanwhile, grate the gouda, and in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, rosemary, oregano, garlic salt, and pepper.
Lightly coat a casserole dish with cooking spray. Add the zucchini and onions to the dish, then add the cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with half of the gouda.
Evenly pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Then, top with the remaining grated gouda.
Bake for 30 minutes or until the center is set. If desired, you can broil for a couple of minutes at the end to get a nice browned top to your frittata.
Let cool for a few minutes, then enjoy! This dish serves six people and works well with a side of greens or fruit.
Other frittata recipes you may enjoy
- Leek and Gruyère Frittata (vegetarian and gluten free)
- Zucchini and Basil Frittata (vegetarian, gluten free, and dairy free)
- Sweet Potato, Spinach, and Smoked Gouda Frittata (vegetarian and gluten free)
Other recipes to showcase your summer veggies
- Summer Vegetable Casserole
- Super Simple Vegan Lasagna (uses zucchini)
- Sweet Corn & Pineapple Stir Fry
- Zucchini & Basil Frittata
- Scallops with Zoodles (zucchini noodles)
Pin this image to save the recipe for later:
Gouda and Zucchini Frittata
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup gouda shredded and divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 eggs
- 2 Tbsp 2% milk
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet until fragrant. Add zucchini and onion and heat, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, rosemary, oregano, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Lightly spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Add zucchini, onion, and cherry tomatoes. Top with half of shredded gouda.
- Evenly pour egg mixture over vegetables. Sprinkle remaining gouda over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the center is set. If desired, broil for 2 - 3 minutes to brown the top.