Quick & Easy for the Holiday: Candy Cane Fudge
If you’re looking for a delicious, addictive treat for your family or for gifts, this candy cane fudge is it! You’ll love how easy and quick it is to whip up a batch of these fantastic fudge squares. They’re so good, they won’t last long, so you might even double or triple the recipe.
Inspiration for easy candy cane fudge recipe
This holiday season I was so fortunate to join Becky’s Mindful Kitchen for a fun, free virtual baking class. Becky taught us how to modify her base recipe for easy fudge to make an endless range of flavors. I chose dark chocolate with crushed candy canes, one of my favorite Christmas candies. I also made an easy ingredient swap by preparing vegan sweetened condensed “milk” using just coconut milk and sugar.
This fudge whips up in a flash and turns out amazing. My whole family absolutely loved it. Also, a bit of fudge may have accidentally fallen into my coffee a couple times…
Check out Becky’s Mindful Kitchen to view the schedule for upcoming virtual baking classes. She provides gluten free and dairy free modifications for all of her recipes.
Ingredients for easy candy cane fudge
You need just three ingredients for this fudge:
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life allergy-friendly chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes (I used Yum Earth)
- 3/4 cup vegan sweetened condensed “milk”. You can find this online or in many health food or specialty stores. To make your own, use 1 can full fat coconut milk and 1/3 cup coconut sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
How to make simple holiday fudge
This isn’t the traditional method of making fudge – but it’s a whole lot easier, and in my opinion, it tastes just as delicious!
Mix chocolate chips and vegan condensed sweetened “milk” in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 2 minutes, then stir. Add half of crushed candy canes and stir again. Pour mixture into a 4″x4″ food storage container lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the remaining candy cane pieces on top. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. Cut into 18 pieces and enjoy!
This fudge also freezes well if you want to make it in advance of eating or gifting it.
Helpful fudge making tips
During our fudge making class, Becky shared some valuable tips with us. Here are just a few:
- If your fudge mixture is too runny, add some powdered sugar to thicken it.
- If anything goes awry with your fudge, simply re-melt the mixture at any time and adjust the ingredients as needed.
- For variations on the recipe, try substituting the crushed candy canes with other ingredients such as candy bits, fruit zest, nuts, nut butter, or 1 tsp extract of your choice. The possibilities are endless. Just think of all the fun experimenting you can do!
More holiday gift recipe ideas
Homemade gifts are often the best gifts! If you’re looking for more gift ideas, check out these recipes:
- Cookie mix in a jar (vegan, gluten free)
- Chocolate-covered macadamia nuts (vegan, gluten free)
- Maple roasted almonds (vegan, gluten free)
- Rice crispy treat bars (vegetarian, gluten free)
Easy Candy Cane Fudge
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips dark or semi-sweet
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
- 1 14-oz can full fat coconut milk or replace coconut milk and coconut sugar with 3/4 cup prepared nondairy sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or replace coconut milk and coconut sugar with 3/4 cup prepared nondairy sweetened condensed milk
- If you're preparing your own nondairy sweetened condensed milk, combine coconut milk and coconut sugar in a pot over the stove. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Mixture will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Mix chocolate chips and vegan condensed sweetened milk in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 2 minutes, then stir until chocolate is melted.
- Add half of crushed candy canes and stir again. Pour mixture into a 4"x4" food storage container lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the remaining candy cane pieces on top. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour. Cut into 18 pieces.